Delaware Lodge 561
Delaware Lodge 561
Delaware Lodge 561 – 3091 State Route 17B Cochecton, NY 12726. (The pin lists a different address – but is location correct)
Delaware Lodge 561 (1865 – Present), the first to be mothered by Monticello Lodge, received its a charter on June 30, 1865, after operating nearly a year under dispensation.
The move to form this lodge was inaugurated by J. Howard Beach, a member of Honesdale Lodge No. 218, and a group of Masons including Charles E. Beach. of Milanville, Pa.; L. Dow Tyler, James C. Curtis, Charles T. Curtis, Tobias Van Gelder and E. M. Calkins, of Cochecton; William Roper and John Barwig, of Fosterdale, and Dr. Isaac Forshay, of Fremont Center. Those who did not belong to the Pennsylvania Lodge claimed membership at Monticello and Callicoon, where the county’s only other lodges were then located. As Beach lived in the State of Pennsylvania he did not become the lodge’s first Master. An excellent substitute in the person of Tobias R. Van Gelder became first Master. Charles T. Curtis was elected Senior Warden and L. Dow Tyler, Junior Warden.
The formal dedication took place at the Cochecton House, on July 7, 1865. Masons from Monticello, Thumansville, Hancock and Middletown attended the ceremonies. In December, 1885, the lodge was transferred to Callicoon, where it has since enjoyed a prosperous and worthy existence. Of the lodge’s three District Deputies Charles T. Curtis, the son of a member of old Sullivan Lodge No.. 272, was the first to be appointed. He served during the year 1898, when William A. Sutherland was Grand Master. His son, Charles G. Curtis, was appointed District Deputy by Grand Master Harold J. Richardson in May, 1927.
This year (1942) Leonard E. Bock was appointed District Deputy by Grand Master William F. Strang. B6ck was raised on February 17, 1917, served as Master during 1922 and 1923, was appointed Assistant Grand Lecturer in 1928 and served in this capacity until 1933. He was elected secretary of the lodge and has ably served in this office since.
Among the brethren of Callicoon Lodge who served as assistant Grand Lecturer was James H. Curtis, a Past Master, who was appointed in 1903 and served until 1905. Raymond C. Tate was appointed to the office by the Grand Lecturer Henry C. Meacham, who also appointed Bock. Edwin S. Kelley, a past Master of the lodge is the present Assistant Grand Lecturer.
In June, 1931, the Grand Master, Charles H. Johnson, appointed Guernsey T. Cross, a Past Master, Grand, Representative of the Grand Lodge of Nevada, near the Grand Lodge of New York. That fall the Grand Master visited Delaware Lodge and presented Bro. Cross with his official apron.
In 1936 the lodge Historical Committee completed a detailed history of the lodge. Credit for this work is given John E. Straub, William V. Dexter and Past Master J. Vance Hunt, Guernsey T. Cross and Fred Stabbert.
Throughout its existence a friendly Masonic feeling has existed between the Delaware and Monticello lodges. The bonds of friendship were-made stronger in 1925 when John H. Hess, a Past Master of Monticello Lodge, was elected to honorary membership in the Delaware Lodge.
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.